• Cape Flora SA is a non-profit company (NPC) with the purpose of identifying and addressing the strategic needs of the fynbos and protea industry.

If a person wishes to harvest protected fynbos on private land you need a licence and certificate of registration from Cape Nature. If a landowner is not harvesting himself, but allowing someone else to harvest on their property, then that person needs a written lease agreement. Thus both the landowner and the harvester need a licence.

Protected flora lease agreement

For that you need the ID’s, copy of the deed and maps of the property. The property will then be visited by a conservationist who will identify the species and complete an inspection report. The information document as well as the application form is completed by the applicant. The audit checklist provides guidelines.

Also any business or person not harvesting, but buying and selling fynbos from a harvester or supplier also needs a licence and certificate of registration for the premises that they are selling from.

The permit application needs to be performed online on the Cape Nature website (www.capenature.co.za)

For assistance on this process refer to this document: Cape Nature Sage Permit System 2017

Audit Checklist

Information document (Afr)

Ordinance (Afr)